UTRCI Senior Research Scientist, Computer Vision/Video Analytics
jaumeall – Posted on April 21, 2017 at 4:33 am –
- Job Type: Full-Time
- Employer: United Technologies Research Center
- Location: Cork, Ireland
- Link: http://www.utrc.utc.com
- Job Descriptions:
United Technologies Research Center (UTRC) is the corporate research center of United Technologies Corporation (UTC), a dynamic global Fortune top 50 corporation operating at the leading edge of commercial and military aviation, aerospace systems, climate control, elevator design, and security and fire protection.
United Technologies Research Centre Ireland, Ltd. (UTRCI), established in 2009, conducts research into the next generation of energy and security systems for high-performance buildings, generating world-class technologies for UTC’s commercial businesses worldwide. Recently, UTRC Ireland added aerospace systems research to its portfolio to support UTC’s large industrial presence in Europe.
Learn more @ www.utrc.utc.com
UTRCI has an opening for a Senior Research Scientist in the area of Computer Vision and Video Analytics. Successful candidates should demonstrate outstanding track records in 2 or more of the following fields: object detection and tracking, object recognition, scene recognition, human action / activity / event recognition, content-based indexing and retrieval, Simultaneous Localization and Mapping (SLAM), and structure from motion.
In addition to the technical contribution, the candidate is expected to interact with United Technologies Corporation (UTC) business units to provide technical expertise in existing programs, contribute towards business development through Irish and European grant acquisition, and contribute to the definition of technical strategy.
The candidate must be able to work effectively in a multidisciplinary, multinational team environment focused on innovation and be able to partner with leading institutions (university, government agencies, national labs, and professional organizations) to meet organizational objectives and will have exceptional communication skills.
Additionally, the successful candidate will be expected to:
• Develop and execute technology research plans to successfully achieve desired technical outcomes within time and budget constraints.
• Assist in developing proposals for externally-funded research in the area of security and aerospace applications, including collaboration with external partners such as companies, national labs and universities.
• Demonstrate excellent communication skills and provide timely, accurate reports and presentations to senior management and functional teams.
• Contribute concepts to technology roadmaps in areas related to computer vision and visual surveillance, helping expand the portfolio of technology maturation projects.
• Contribute to the development of integrated solutions for UTC business units, focusing on creative solutions in computer vision and video surveillance problems.
• Contribute to business development through Irish local and European grant acquisition and contribute to the setting of strategic technical agenda
• Author technical papers, and engage in relevant technical communities.
M.S. degree in Computer Science, Electrical or Computer Engineering, Mathematics, Statistics, or a related field with 5+ years of industrial or academic experience (post M.S.).
Ph.D. degree in Computer Science, Electrical or Computer Engineering, Mathematics, Statistics, or a related field, plus 2+ years of industrial or academic experience after completion of the Ph.D. in disciplines as outlined above.
• Expert knowledge and a minimum of 3 years (5 years for M.S) of industrial or academic experience in at least two of the following computer vision/pattern recognition fields: object classification, detection and tracking; object recognition; activity and event recognition; content-based indexing and retrieval, SLAM, and structure from motion.
• Demonstrated ability to work within multi-disciplinary teams to successfully achieve desired technical outcomes within time and budget constraints.
• Demonstrated ability to write proposals and win external funding/contracts/grants.
• Record of technical contributions, including patents and publications in refereed technical journals and major conferences in computer vision.
• Proven success in innovative strategic and technical thinking, willingness to champion and investigate new technical ideas, and experience in applying work to real-world applications.
• Excellent communication skills, innovative strategic and technical thinker, high energy and team player.
• Willingness to go beyond the original field of expertise.
• Software skills: C/C++, MATLAB, OpenCV and Python.
• Experience in robotics applications, including indoor or aerial environments
• Familiarity with video-based forensic analysis, including machine-based reasoning and chain of evidence management
• Experience in High-Performance Computing (HPC), including hardware-based acceleration using GPU technology, parallel and distributed computing and heterogeneous computing.
• Experience in Embedded Computer Vision
• Experience with CUDA, OpenCL, OpenMP, DirectX and OpenGL.
• Experience with Deep Learning techniques and tools, especially in Computer Vision domains.
• Expertise in pattern recognition and machine learning techniques: unsupervised, and supervised learning, stochastic optimization (simulated annealing, gradient descent, etc.), dimensionality reduction, feature selection, etc.
• Fusion of different modalities (e.g., optical, depth, radar, etc.).
• Signal processing.
This position is based at UTRC’s European hub in Cork, Ireland. To be eligible to apply, candidates must be legally entitled to work and reside in Ireland.
Candidates can apply online at: http://www.utrc.utc.com/ by selecting the “Careers”, then “Job Postings (International)”, and then UTRCI Research Scientist, Computer Vision and Visual Surveillance
Enquiries can be sent to Dr. Jaume Amores at email@example.com or Dr. Antonio Penta at firstname.lastname@example.org
United Technologies Corporation is An Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer
- Contact Name: Jaume Amores
- Contact Email: AmoresJ@utrc.utc.com